Delta Chi Chapter was founded at San Jose State University in San Jose, California on January 28, 1949. The chapter was closed on January 26, 1972.
Charter members: Barbara Jane Albaugh, Jean Louise Baltz, Dorothy Beall, Patricia B. Cadwallader, Joyce Lovell Call, Donna Jean Clark, Phoebe Ann Davison, Joanne Doty, Nancy Jane Etherton, Peggy Ann Etherton, Joan Flint, Marjorie Helen Goody, Elizabeth Bartle Greulich, Winifred Fay Helm, Beatrice Ileene Hohman, Barbara Ann Leigh, Marijane Lyman, Eileen Hunter Merrill, Jacqueline Almira Mitchell, Arta Jo Price, Georgette Marilyn Rebstock, Margaret Carter Schlosser, Beverly Jean Shobe, Clare McMurry Smith, Martha Elinor Thomas, Jacquelyn Leone Van Arsdale, Marilyn Pearl Zeller.
To the hundreds of Kappas who participated in the installation of Delta Chi Chapter at San Jose College, the occasion was the realization of great expectations and promise of a long future of honor and glory for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity. The day was January 28, 1949, when 27 charter members, plus a large group of active and alumnae members of the Allenian Society, were initiated.
After 50 years of distinguished existence on a campus famous for its excellent teacher training and subsequently for the wide range of offerings of a large university, the Allenians had joined the other campus locals in the sudden quest for national affiliation. The petition to the Kappa General Convention in Sun Valley in 1948 was granted by unanimous vote. Thus a chapter was extended to this oldest and outstanding campus local, founded in 1896 and named for the college president. Its members were interested in providing opportunities to debate and discuss issues in literature, history philosophy and science. Its motto was “He can conquer who thinks he can.” Its first president Helen Schultz Payne, became one of Kappa’s most enthusiastic members.
The 10th of 13 national Panhellenic fraternities to come on the campus in less than a year, Delta Chi was installed by Helena Flinn Ege, Pittsburgh, Fraternity president; assisted by council members Clara O. Pierce, Ohio State; Executive Secretary; Eleanore Goodridge Campbell, Colorado, Director of Alumnae; and Helen Snyder Andres (Steiner), Washington, former Fraternity President. The directors of Kappa province also participated; as well as Pi Deuteron, UC Berkeley, Gamma Xi UCLA and Delta Tau USC (Calif.) chapters; and alumnae members from San Jose, Palo Alto and San Mateo. Dr. Dorothy Kaucher, a Phi Mu and professor of speech at San Jose State College, was the banquet speaker.
Elizabeth Bartle (Greulich), Delta Chi’s first president, and her corps of officers and advisers had an excellent assistant in establishing Kappa policies and procedures in Graduate Counselor Margery Lawrence (Hetherington), Denison. She was a real leader, full of enthusiasm and song and gave the chapter a fine start. Later, the services of another graduate counselor, Jayne Seastrom (Lytle), Washington, benefited the chapter. Housing was the chapter’s first and continuing problem. A house on Eighth Street opened September, 1949, and accommodated 19 girls. The first house director, Mrs. Jennie LeGros, was a woman of great charm, warmth and wisdom. Trained as a concert singer, she was a positive influence and encouraged high standards and gracious living within the chapter.
The second house was termed “the miracle of Eleventh Street” by the long-time house board president, Helen Andres Steiner. It was purchased, remodeled and furnished and put the girls in the heart of Fraternity Row. A few years later the Oneal house on Tenth Street was purchased as a permanent site for an enlarged house to care for the needs of a bigger chapter. It was a great blow to learn that the college had decided to expand its boundaries to encompass this site for its Business Administration complex. The search for a permanent chapter home began again, and it is to the eternal credit of a devoted House Board that courage never waned. The San Mateo, Palo Alto and most of all the San Jose alumnae were a wonderful help, as were members of the Mothers Club and many individual Kappas all over the state. Of course, nothing would have been possible without the backing of the Fraternity.
It was not until 1965 that the beautiful columned Kappa house on Eleventh Street was dedicated. Designed by Frances Sutton Schmitz, Michigan, Fraternity architect, it was three stories high, contained 24,000 square feet and housed 67 girls. It was the last word in convenience, elegance and comfort. Phyllis Forward Simpkins, San Jose State, was the main spark plug in seeing this project to completion.
Through the years the Delta Chis had been making a name for itself, winning honors in every facet of campus life. The chapter had many outstanding students, and time after time won the Panhellenic Scholarship Cup, as well as province recognition. Delta Chi starred in song contests, Greek Week events, election to honoraries and production of beauty queens. The Key, Winter, 1959, carried a picture captioned “A Houseful of Cups.” Kappas held many responsible campus offices.
The chapter was hostess to Kappa Province Meetings in 1953 and 1962.
Just when Delta Chi seemed to be running a smooth course with its major problems solved, the shadow of anti-fraternity pressures clouded the horizon. In 1964 the California fraternity environment was badly shaken by the membership discrimination charges made against fraternities. Kappa had no discriminatory clauses, and its chapters were able to sign statements to that effect as required by administration authorities. However, the attitude toward fraternities changed to a marked degree. The eventual result was the loss of most of the chapters on the campus, including Delta Chi, which officially ended its existence January 26, 1972. Every effort to retain the house and maintain the chapter was unsuccessful. With great sorrow the final ceremonies were held to surrender the chapter’s charter.
In its brief span Delta Chi had been a sparkling, active, intelligent, striving, singing chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. The History of Kappa Kappa Gamma 1870-1976