Pi Deuteron Chapter was founded at the University of California, Berkeley in Berkeley, California on August 5, 1897, 12 years after the original Pi Chapter closed.
2,785 initiates (as of June 2018)
Kappa Kappa Gamma was the first sorority founded at UC Berkeley - dating all the way back to 1880. Designed by Julia Morgan, the first licensed female architect in California, our chapter house was originally built for Chancellor Gayley before being renovated for its current use. Our home includes 126 actives in total whose interests extend to include such activities as PAD (a pre-law fraternity on campus), Berkeley Consulting (a prestigious consulting firm on campus), International non-profit work with the organization Invisible Children, and Cal athletics (Crew, Water Polo, and Lacrosse) along with everything in between. The diversity and dedication of our women are what make Kappa Kappa Gamma the incredible house that it is. Our chapter's mission statement incorporates the ideas of friendship, support, respect and understanding - traditions that have thrived for over the past century during our existence here at Cal, and which will continue to flourish with every new member that joins our fraternity.
Paradoxically the Kappa Alpha Theta charter, which had gathered dust in the express office in 1880 when “Old Pi” was founded, returned to the Berkeley campus and was put to use seven years before Pi Deuteron was installed. It was 1893 when a group decided to apply for a Kappa charter and was approved by Beta Eta at Stanford University as well as original Pi members, only to discover that another group already applied. The second group persisted in its efforts, however, because of its Kappa sponsorship. While they waited, the girls formed a local society, called “Sorosis,” under the patronage of the San Francisco Sorosis in 1894. Grand Council was not eager to grant the new charter, thinking of convention expenses connected with far away California, and the former prejudices on the campus. In 1895 Bertha Richmond (Chevalier), Φ—Boston, grand secretary, wrote: “I feel that the increase in numbers would not add materially if at all to the strength of the Fraternity…I think that the Fraternity cannot afford another chapter in the Far West.” Two years later, as grand president, she reversed herself with, “I think that our Fraternity is neither so large, nor so strong, that it could not be benefited by the addition of a new strong chapter.” The installation and initiation provided joyous ceremonies for members of the first Pi, for sponsoring actives from Stanford, and for the charter members who had made Sorosis strong. Music by Schumann backed up the service which was conducted by Annabel Collins (Coe), BZ—Iowa, grand treasurer. Visitors, having been feted and taken up Mt. Tamalpais, were still surprised by the zeal of the rushing season in Berkeley, without the benefit of Panhellenic contract. In October, 1897, The Key placed the good news of the reestablishment on its first page, and mentioned the University of California at Berkeley as “the greatest conservative college of the west.” In honesty, The Key mentioned that the nine college buildings on the beautiful site were “nothing of which to boast,” but then the author, Mary Bell (Morwood), went on to boast of the 35 marble and stone buildings near completion and of the philanthropic woman, Mrs. Phoebe Hearst, who had just been added to the Board of Regents, who had established so many scholarships, and “who is about to give a large proportion of her fortune to us.” Students used the ferry to come over from San Francisco; other students lived in boarding and fraternity houses. It was easy to place the men students in their class rank. Freshman carried new equipment; sophomores swung their canes; juniors wore battered white plug hats decorated with class and fraternity symbols; and the black silk hats of the seniors looked like “worn out accordions.” They were often handed down from one class to the next. Women’s dress was less distinctive. In the beginning they had worn their mortar boards after their freshman year, but in 1897 this was outmoded. Some social events also were considered old fashioned. At the senior ball, which was still popular, the girls dressed in calling costumes and hats and danced only with “a few favored friends.” YMCA and the YWCA (a Pi member was a founder) were strong on campus. There was still feeling about coeducation, but popular girls could receive a number of invitations to men’s fraternities on class day. White duck trousers and organdy dresses were everywhere and later there would be a general visit to Co-Ed Canyon for extemporaneous entertainment, then dinner and a glee club concert. Graduation was a let-down after the excitement of class day. There was a marked difference between Stanford and the University of California. One was built on science and the other on the classic tradition, where Latin and Greek were common prerequisites and examinations were becoming more and more rigid. The women of Berkeley had been wearing their hats and gloves to class for 25 years—“as if they were visitors.” The Stanford girls were much amused. The Berkely girls could relax only in the gymnasium or the ladies room. In spite of their conservatism the Kappas of Pi Deuteron held important positions on the campus. And they had a three story house, owned by the patroness, the mother of a member. The house was known for two outstanding features, named for Sorosis members who did not live to see Kappa’s reinstatement: the Alice Dewey Michaels Memorial Library and the Mabel Worthington Sullivan Memorial Art Collection. During their first term as a chapter a reception was given for Mrs. Hearst, and two members organized Prytanean, the women’s honor society.
On April 18, 1906, at 5:13 a.m. the locks and life of college, chapter, and homes stopped short. San Franscisco was hit by an earthquake and fire. Students, released from classes, were active in relief work. This work continued into the summer, although the senior class came back for “quiet graduation exercises.” Many chapter members lived at home and only a few lived in the house on Fulton Street. There was one move after another during the early years. One year there were no seniors; factions developed; scholarship and participation went down, although there were always a few outstanding members. Pi was lucky, too, in Kappa visitor and affiliates, girls like Cleora Wheeler, X—Minnesota, who was “like a chapter sister,” and Almira Johnson (McNaboe), H—Wisconsin, who many years later became a Fraternity vice president. In 1912 a move was made to 2725 Channing Way, Pi’s own house at last. It was the beginning of a turn for the better. Now there was harmony, unity, and accomplishment. The 1920s were great years. The isolation of the early Pi was a thing of the past, distances were overcome. In 1925, 10 members went to Los Angeles to help install Gamma Xi. Fraternity officers came from Pi regularly; Elizabeth Gray Potter was editor of The Key 1906-1910. She was also the librarian at Mills College and author of two books on San Francisco. Eva Powell and Eleanor V.V. Bennet were grand presidents and there were many province officers. Irene Hazard Gerlinger became a regent of the University of Oregon (1914-1929) and the women’s building there was named in her honor. Two members of Pi Deuteron were known the world over, and both were in the same field. One was Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman, born in 1887 of pioneer California stock. She was a national tennis champion, donor of the Wightman Cup and several times captain of the team, author, and Kappa Achievement Award winner in 1947. The other was the Kappa she coached so successfully, Helen Wills Moody, Roarke, who won Kappa’s Achievement Award in 1960. Together they won two Wightman Cup doubles matched, two U.S. championships, the tennis championship at Wimbledon, and an all-England championship at Wimbledon. Helen Wills won the American championship each year from 1923-29 except 1926 when she didn’t compete, and the Wimbledon title eight times. She wore white stockings in England because Queen Mary hated bare legs. Much to the pleasure of California Kappas, the 1926 Convention took place at Mills College in Oakland. Nearly 700 attended the convention and those arriving on the special train from Chicago were given baskets of fruit and flowers as the train passed through Sacramento. Pi’s Myrtle Sims Hamilton handled the funds so that well more than $600 was turned over to the Fraternity Endowment Fund at the end of convention. In 1925, at the time of the installation of Gamma Xi, there was an informal conference of the three California chapters, but the first real province convention was not until 1929 at Stanford. In 1929, the chapter house was remodeled and refurnished downstairs. IN 1949, the former home of Professor Galey on Piedmont Avenue became the chapter house. It was renovated and a two-story wing added. In 1958, the Chicago Tribune announced that as the result of a survey, the Berkeley campus was rated as one of the most distinguished in the nation. A report in The Key, Mid-Winter, 1960 stated, “The student at Berkely has an ever-expanding, almost unlimited field of endeavor.” Said Tracy Innes (Stephenson) and Louise Dunlap, Pi actives and authors of the article, “A new student can be overwhelmed by the size and beauty of campus…To be a student (here) is a wonderful privilege.” It was not possible to obtain any history of Pi Deuteron after 1960. A note from the chapter public relations chairman said that she had consulted her adviser “… and she said that, though we have checked before, there isn’t that much of which to speak…A newsletter is being planned to be sent to alumnae and parents,” she added. Pi Deuteron was installing chapter for Epsilon Omicron Chapter at the University of California at Davis in February, 1975.
Pi was granted a charter in 1880 and closed by 1885.
Pi Deuteron was re-installed in 1897 and they had a three story house on Fulton Street that housed four members, owned by Mrs. Rising, the mother of members Alice Rising and Ruth Rising.
In the January 1898 issue of The Key, the corresponding wrote in her chapter letter “our chapter house is well established.
In 1912 a move was made to 2725 Channing Way, Pi’s own house at last.
In 1929, the chapter house was remodeled and refurnished downstairs.
In 1949, the former home of Professor Galey on Piedmont Avenue became the chapter house. It was renovated and a two-story wing added.
Jeanne Ley she said when she pledged as a freshman the house was on Channing then moved the following year to Piedmont. According to Jeanne, the house originally was a "lovely shingled and traditional Julia Morgan home", then they added the "hospital wing with that ugly grey floor, and sprayed cement over the beautiful shingles!"....evidently the remodel was not very popular. Until the remodel the girls all had meals at the I-House since there was no large kitchen or dining room. For the remodel the house was raised, the chapter room, dining room and kitchen added as the ground floor, and the entire structure moved forward on the lot to create the back courtyard. Jeanne said she remembers them doing all this from Christmas through the summer, and the girls moved back to Kappa in the fall!
The chapter succesfully upheld its founding principles during this ten year period. The members of Kappa Kappa Gamma were extremely busy with academics, sports, internships, and jobs, while at the same time made tiume for social activities including the annual ATO picnic and father daughter dance. During this time period many intelligent, dedicated, outgoing, amazing members encouraged one another and motivated each other to work towards the Fraternity's potential.
Much needed improvemnts to the house were made thanks to those who supported the Fire Sprinkler Campaign and to the careful management of our capital improvement's budget. These improvements included installation of fire-safe floors, bedrooms and halls were painted and recarpeted, the House Director's apartment was expanded and refurbished, and the attic storage space was rennovated to provide a better study space for the girls. We also succesfully satisfied each area in "The Challenge to Excellence" that was issued by the Regional Directors of Kappa to assist in smoothly operating each chapter.
From the first notification of the upcoming birthday, to the last tearful goodbyes on May 22, 1980, Pi Deuteron Chapter at the University of California, Berkeley, actives and alumna worked to create a special celebration of Pi's first I00 years.
From November 1979 when Pi Board was first informed that House Board began work immediately. Didi Moore Boring 53 was appointed chairman, and a chapter committee was co-chaired by seniors Erin Biggs and Carol McKnight. Early on it was decided to have an open house during the day (May 22 1980), and a banquet that evening. “This Chapter ln Time” was chosen as the theme for the day, and a logo was developed.
The challenge was to reach as many as possible of Pi's over 1,000 initiates and to offer them a way to become a part of the celebration if they wanted to. First notification was through the chapter newsletter The Pi Piper; official announcements went out in March asking alumnae to reserve the day. Many who could not attend the festivities, contributed to the University through the Emma Moffett McLaughlin Scholarship Fund in honor of a Pi Kappa who had been an outstanding leader in community and University affairs. Additionally, a gold charm depicting the logo was offered; each sold for $50 and proceeds went to the Chapter House Fund.
The day of May 22nd saw many reunion luncheons before the open house at the chapter. People came from all over California, as well as from Oregon and New York! The House was beautifully decorated with help from the Mothers' Club; actives gave tours of the campus, and tea was served. In the chapter room, scrapbooks and early photos were displayed by decades. A wealth of historical photos of the classes of '02 and '03 and of the first chapter houses was provided by Jean McLaughlin Doolittle. The banquet was held at the Marriott Inn in Berkeley with about 180 attending. Guests were surprised by visits from the Cal StrawHat Band and Oshi, the silent Cal mascot, who really got the evening off to an enthusiastic beginning. Seating was assigned by initiation classes. After the mistress of ceremonies, (Helen) Sally Walker Lyding, gave a humorous history of the chapter, she asked everyone to rise. As she called off the name of each decade beginning with the 80's, those who had been initiated in that decade sat down. Left standing at the conclusion were the oldest initiates, all who had been Kappas over 50 years. The oldest there was Elva Christie Hughes, initiated in 1910, two of whose three Pi daughters were also present that night. The collegians gave the early initiates a great round of applause.
Representing the Fraternity, Marjorie Cross Bird, BM-Colorado, then director of field representatives, presented a $1,000 scholarship to the University of California in honor of Pi Deuteron Chapter. A special scholarship committee under (Alice Marian) Midge Oliver Zischke had earlier determined the two winners on the basis of need, high scholarship, and chapter community contribution: Amie Mosher, a Kappa, and Monica Whitlock, a Tri Delta. The banquet speaker was Joseph A. Moore, Jr., then vice-chairman (now chairman) of the Board Regents of the University of California, and father of Centennial Chairman, (Marilyn) Didi Moore Boring. The evening came to a close as we heard of the collegiate activities from chapter president Stacy Black, and were treated to a performance by singers Marilyn Hoffman and Ann Forbush. All joined in the singing of Kappa songs, led by the actives and the closing ceremony.
Pi is indeed fortunate to have the spirited, dedicated group of alumnae and actives presently involved in the chapter. The Centennial offered an opportunity to enlarge the group of friends, refresh some perhaps dimming memories, and to participate again in creating a new memory, one which will last until the next big occasion, the 150th, in 2030. Will you be here?
San Francisco Bay area earthquake 1990 … chapter house not damaged but it was “mayhem in the chapter house with 60 girls screaming, things falling off shelves,” said the Philanthropy Chairman at the time. “There were minor bruises but no injuries. No one realized how serious it was until we later saw it on TV.” Spared from damage and injury, Pi Deuteron was eager to help with the relief. They gave $900 to the Red Cross, money they had been saving for an exercise bicycle, and collected clothing. A few members worked on Red Cross clean-up crews. They had already been organizing blood drives, so this was promoted to replenish blood supplies during the aftermath of the earthquake. (From The Key, 1990)
Philanthropy: During the summer of 2009, one of our Kappa sisters was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. With the guidance of Jill, our chapter helped to organize the first annual "Jog for Jill" took place in Berkeley, CA during the spring of 2010. The event drew hundreds of people from various sororities, fraternities, and athletic teams from the campus.
Jill also was the inspiration for the "Just like Jill" campaign through the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation. Shortly after graduating, Jill passed away, but her legacy still lives on. The chapter continues to be involved in Bonnie J. Addario events, as well as "Jog for Jill." In fact, two of our Kappa sisters are members of the Jill's Legacy Board through the Bonnie J. Addario Foundation.
Our chapter won multiple awards at Pi Province this past year. We raised over 2,000 dollars for our national philanthropy Reading is Fundamental and continued to work with Emerson Elementary school kids on their reading skills once a week. A lot of our members also participated in other philanthropy events throughout the greek system including DG's basketball tournament, Pi Phi's arrowbands competition, and Sigma Chi's Derby Days. Some highlights of the year included Jog for Jill, Monmouth, Kappa Karoake, and initiation of 40 new members.
This past school year our chapter heavily focused on academics and in doing so we raised our overall GPA from a 3.32 to a 3.39. We acconplished this by requiring all members to log in 3 study hours per week.
Events on campus:
In 2011 UC Berkeley students participated in the "Occupy Cal" movement in order to protest the privatization of UC Berkeley. Even though this was supposed to be a peaceful protest, several students were arrested upon failing to comply with the university's policy on "no emcampment." There were several rallies and walkouts that occurred in response to this throughout the fall semester of 2011.
Our Spring recipient of the Linda Morrison Award, Morgan Fabian recently passed on the honor to the new Fall recipient of the Linda Morrison Award, Madeline Storch. Two more sisters Charlie Reed, and Emily Swarts were also the recipients of the Tali James Scholarship. Additionally, Hannah Hess received the honorable Jill Costello award. Our chapter goals have been aimed towards creating a more effective system of governing the chapter. Some of these obstacles, such as missed deadlines, were minor and have been solved through the use of reminder posters every month of the activities, while major obstacles are being solved through new implementations. For example, we are encouraging more participation for Reading is Fundamental by having a Google doc sign up for those who can attend.
By means of philanthropy we had great attendance at Jog for Jill. The chapter had t-shirts and KKG ribbons made to show our support. Many of the attendees were our newest class of members from our successful recruitment. The Pi Deuteron Chapter was extremely proud and excited to welcome 31 beautiful girls into our fraternity. We also had a very successful year with our event Kappa Karaoke where we raised $5,000 for Reading is Fundamental. With regards to our PanHellenic Involvement, Kappa was involved in a House Decorating Competition for “Big Game Week” and placed. Our reward was to have our letters projected onto the Campanile for a whole night!
The Pi Deuteron Chapter also participated in Pi Provence this past year. Multiple members of the chapter spent the day learning about other Kappa chapters and recognizing outstanding awards for these chapters. The Pi Chapter was also recognized and received the AB Award at Provence.
Lastly our chapter has been focusing on our scholarship and academic success. Most noticeably we have Study Tables every Wednesday night in the Chapter Room in order to provide a safe, quiet environment conducive to studying. In Spring 2013, the Pi Deuteron Chapter maintained a 3.40 G.P.A compared to the PHC average of 3.37 and the All Greek Average of 3.27.
The most recent change on campus is the “Breathe” Initiative. The campus has officially become tobacco free environment. Construction on Lower Sproul has been occurring for the past semester. Due to the construction site, the student store has been relocated across the street on Bancroft in the meantime. As I mentioned previously, the nature of our chapter’s recent changes has been towards a more efficient and productive way of running the chapter as a whole. We have created solutions for the areas in which our chapter survey showed weaker links and we look forward to improving the chapter as much as we can.