Nu Chapter was founded at Franklin College in Franklin, Indiana on January 31, 1879. The Chapter closed on October 30, 1884.
If Nu Chapter had been allowed to live beyond her five years, the whole philanthropic history of Kappa might have been changed, for the Nu member who promised to be the liveliest, Emma Harper Turner, begged honorable dismission in 1888, became a member of Pi Beta Phi, and the originator of that fraternity's famous settlement work among the southern mountaineers. She became grand president of Pi Beta Phi in April, 1890.
It's a fact that she fought hard for Nu. The unpleasantness began before the 1884 Convention when the charter was revoked, in what seems to have been a class of personalities, misunderstandings, some laxity, and a switch in Fraternity policy.
"It would be impossible to record the details," the 1870-1930 History of Kappa Kappa Gamma relates, "without including unhappy personalities which should be forgotten and buried rather than perpetuated in a published history."
Nu Chapter was solicited by Iota. Mary Ellen Owen (Wood) from that chapter initiated the six charter members at Franklin College on January 31, 1879. During the next five years, 35 others were initiated, a few after the chapter was lost, but while Nu was pretending to Franklin College and the town of Franklin that Kappa was still on the campus.
The members, during those years in the early 1880s, were girls from prominent Franklin families. At the Commencement week banquet they entertained out-of-towners and local society. No case of college discipline was ever directed against a woman of Nu, and during the Commencement of 1883, every prize but one was taken by a Nu Kappa.
"The chapter must have felt well satisfied with itself," its correspondent wrote on May 23, 1883, "for we have received very few members, but those whom we have initiated (are)...just splendid...good students and graduated from high school before entering college."
How shocking it must have been to such a chapter, "prosperous, peaceful, and happy," to learn that the 1884 Convention had leveled a fine of $10 for not sending a delegate, or an excuse, to national convention; general disregard of constitutional requirements; and the low standard of Franklin College.
Shocked, Nu called a meeting of Indiana chapters for October 11, 1884, but no one showed up. An appeal was sent to Grand Council asking for renewal, or a temporary charter, until 1886. The president and faculty of Franklin College sent letters, but to no avail. The temporary charter was refused, but Nu continued to fight.
Friendly letters passed between the chapter and Charlotte Barrell Ware, of Phi chapter at Boston, Grand President, and in 1886 Emma Turner attended the convention in Akron to continue the battle. After an appeal by the Phi delegate in Miss Turner's behalf, it was moved that a chapter be placed in Franklin College. However, by then the feeling against the chapter had become a feeling against small colleges and the motion lost.
Nu became a local society for a couple of years and Miss Turner became a Pi Beta Phi.
Franklin Nu Alumnae Association was formed on September 9, 1910, when, according to a story in the December issue of The Key, 14 members of Nu; "charter revoked...met on Franklin's beautiful campus for a reunion." Progress was reported in finding addresses for Mary Scattergood, Beta Alpha, Pennsylvania, Kappa's director of catalogue; a report was given on the Bloomington Convention; the recognition accorded Nu by Edith Stoner (Robinson), Theta, Missouri, and the Grand Council was remarked upon; Kappa songs were sung; and "a sweet occasion, never to be forgotten" was over.
The organization lasted through 1922.