Beta Rho Chapter was founded at University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio on June 6, 1885. A few months later, the charter was surrendered. It was reinstalled as Beta Rho Deuteron on May 19, 1914. Initially, the fraternity custom was to name a new chapter after a closed one, so that all 24 letters of the Greek alphabet were always in use. Because of this custom, the Chapter is called simply Rho in early records. This practice ended in 1890 when Convention delegates voted to affix Beta to the name of a chapter to indicate it was the second and to affix Gamma on the second round, then Delta, and so on. The chapter at the University of Cincinnati was the second chapter to be known as Rho and, after 1890, it became known as Beta Rho.
4 initiates as of chapter closing
The University of Cincinnati, the second oldest and the second largest municipal university in the United States, was founded in 1907. This date represents the establishment of the Cincinnati College and the Medical College of Ohio. In 1870 the city, under a state act, absorbed these colleges and established the University of Cincinnati. The Kappa Kappa Gamma charter granted to the second (Beta) Rho on June 6, 1885, had been mysteriously surrendered a few months later.